Thursday, April 26, 2012

Apologies in Advance


I figure before the Blue Jays lose even one more game, I need to do one of two things: quit twitter altogether, or apologize in advance to those I'm about to lose my shit on.

You see... quitting twitter isn't really an option, since I enjoy the interaction with fellow fans and friends, and in this day and age of instant information, it's a source I just couldn't do without.  So that leaves me with no other choice....

I'm sorry, friends and fellow Blue Jay "fans", for any hurtful, insulting, or demeaning words I may throw your way in the days and weeks ahead.  I mean no long-term offence, and I'm sure you're not just a mindless, mouth-breathing, keyboard warrior bandwagon jumping doucher.  I'd like to think that I'm typically a pretty pleasant & agreeable dude, and we'd probably get along famously in "real life" should our paths ever cross, but you see, I'm getting tired.  Frustrated.  Borderline maddened (if there is such a word, and if not, may I coin the phrase?).

Maybe it's because I'm getting older (mid-30's, FRIG OFF).  Maybe it's because I'm raising two kids and was forced to learn that valuable life lesson: "patience is a virtue".  Maybe it's because I tell my 5 year old daughter that things don't always go your way, and that's life.

Or maybe it's because I have more than an ounce of damn sense in my head and am able to realize that it's ridiculous to make lunatic judgments and assertions based on one shitty - albeit extremely shitty - series early on in baseball's 162 game schedule.

Yunel Escobar has not proven that Atlanta was smart to trade him.  This latest bout of petulance was not a welcome addition to his lost hitting stroke to start the year, on this we agree - but give your heads a shake if you think the Jays are better off without him and BRING BACK THE PMoD.

Jose Bautista has not turned into a baseball pumpkin overnight.  Are his usually "must-see" plate appearance a little hard to watch right now?  Yeah, they are a little painful.  But guys in their prime and coming off back-to-back .995/1.056 OPS seasons don't forget how to be good baseball players over the course of a Dominican winter.  Oh, and that "terrible" 2nd half he endured last season?  .896 OPS.  Not so terrible.

And can we please leave Eric Thames alone, since we're here and talking about things?  I understand the whole Team Snider dynamic - I get that, I really do... meats don't clash baby, and I want him rocking that beautiful new/old Blue Jay uniform set too... but the pendulum seems to have swung so far in the pro-Snider camp that we're in anti-Thames territory, hoping for him to fail, which is just a touch counter intuitive to bemoaning the team's recent struggles, don't you think?

I could go on, but I think we've reached the point in this here little rant where I'm just banging the drum for the sake of noise.

So, I'm sorry.  I really am.  I expect we'll be able to be friends again when the Jays rip off any semblance of a winning streak. 

Win-win.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Honestly, I see barely any of this negative stuff. And that's for two reasons, I unfollow anyone who is overly negative and I'm not popular enough for people to tweet their problems at me.

Don't listen to Jays talk, unfollow the Negative Nancys and start blocking the whiners. Zen.

Chris said...

Awesome post!

Could not agree with you more especially regarding the Thames hate. I was beginning to think it was just me.

Hank Uppercut said...

Agree about Thames.

Does Eric Thames have any value other then getting 300 AB's in the majors? No. But Snider has value in AAA increasing his trade value or making his game better.

If Thames fails and Snider is your savoir then you'll see him eventually. If Thames succeeds then we have a good left fielder and a great piece of trade bait.

Shut the fuck up everyone and let it play out.

Anonymous said...

Ack that was sick!

The Ack said...

Good sick or bad sick? I can't even keep up with the jive talkin' anymore.